Land for a new cemetery was purchased from Captain Key in 1913. The Parish Council paid £3,500 for it. The road and bridge to the cemetery were improved and fencing which cost £600 was erected. The Cemetery opened in 1915. Since then it has been enlarged several times.
It was agreed that there would be a military burial-ground in it, purchased by the War Department, who made a contribution to the laying-out of the grounds. The military area now contains 104 First World War graves and 115 from the Second World War. Burials from both wars form the war graves plot with a Cross of Remembrance to the south of the Lodge and marked by flower borders. There are also 15 war graves of other nationalities within the war graves plot.
Money left by a Mr. Bowdler, who had lived in Fulford and died in China was used to build cemetery lodge part of which is the cemetery office. The Parish Council own and maintain it.